Three Subway Lines, and RT

The Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) operates the Subway/RT (Rapid Transit) network, which consists of three traditional heavy rail lines, and a short extension that uses a different technology. 

The system's earliest segment, eleven stations between Union Station downtown and Eglinton, was put into service in 1954.  Toronto was thus the first city on the continent to begin subway service after the Second World War, a year or so before Cleveland's line started. 

That initial route now is part of the Yonge-University-Spadina Subway, which follows a long, somewhat U-shaped, somewhat V-shaped journey the prongs of which go generally north and northwest from downtown.

The Bloor-Danforth Subway runs on a primarily east-west route a bit north of the traditional center city.  It intersects the Yonge-University-Spadina Subway twice.  The two lines run on different levels through the St. George station. 

The third subway route, Sheppard, serves a much less densely settled part of the urban area.  It goes between Sheppard-Yonge station, transfer point with the Yonge-University-Spadina Subway near that line's northeastern end, and Don Mills.  Its five stations are spaced much further apart than on the older two lines.

At Kennedy, the eastern terminal on the Bloor-Danforth line, passengers may transfer to the Scarborough RT, a six-station extension that is borderline between light rail and heavy rail.  TTC considers it to be part of the subway network, and it is treated so in these pages. 

The above photo shows trains on the Yonge-University-Spadina line near the Davisville station.  One of the system's several storage and maintenance areas is adjacent.  The building up from the platforms houses TTC headquarters.