This view is also from the southwest corner of Madison
and Wabash, and shows the underside of the station and "L" structure,
and the stairways on the other side of Madison.
The Loop began serving Chicago in 1897. In the early years four
different elevated railroad companies used its tracks, along with two
interurban electric rail lines. The city lines were consolidated
into CTA predecessor Chicago Rapid Transit Co. in the mid-1920s.
CTA came into being in 1947.