In this scene car 1060, carrying a
former paint scheme,
nears the station platform at 2nd &
Montgomery, bound for Castro. Two Muni buses and an Amtrak
California bus are also in the view.
In a much earlier era Market St.
was one of the very few roadways in the country where four trolley tracks
ran for a substantial distance. Two competing organizations carried great
numbers of passengers to and from the Ferry Building, where passengers
changed to and from the many vessels that served various East Bay and Marin County locations.
At a later time, after the coming of the area's two great suspension
bridges, the downtown terminal was cut back to the Transbay
Terminal, which served transit across the Bay Bridge. Trolleys
turned right a block or so ahead to reach that
location, which is one block to the southeast along Mission St.